Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Laided-Back Beachy Vibe Boy's Bedroom

My youngest son is a quirky little guy. He couldn't be more different from his big brother. So when he picked out this surfer painting at Garden Ridge for his new bedroom, I knew I would go with a laid-back beachy vibe for his room. 


The picture is huge! His room is small. So the plan is to set up a neutral back ground and let the picture and other accessories really pop.


I had thought that maybe I would go with an aqua colored walled, but it seemed so loud and too bright. I knew I did not want white walls, and then thought I would just go with the same grey I was going to paint his brother's room. Actually, every room in my house may end up grey. 

We have a set of bunk beds that we haven't used in a while for his new room. Like I have said before, its a small room. The bunks will tucked into the back wall and take up less floor space then his current crib turned double bed! I am currently making a quilt for his bunk beds. I am making a more detailed bottom bunk quilt and will go with a simple solid color for the top bunk. I will post pictures as soon as I complete the shark/surf themed quilt.


Here is a really bad PhotoShop attempt at changing the bed to navy blue. I don't really like the orange wood tone of the current bed. I am thinking of painting it a dark blue. I don't want to ruin the wood, so I am still hesitant to start that job.   


The next step in his room is finding some storage options that do not take up a lot of space. I have several vintage suitcases that I am planning for under the bed options. They will help with small action figures, legos and such. I really like the shelves and basket idea also, but just might go with a simple toy box instead.






I have two old boat oars that I would like to find a use for as well. Here is an idea for Pottery Barn that I will tweak to make work a little different but they gave me the general idea. I am planning to combine my oars with the Surf Board Hooks below...




Another idea that I have for his room includes a surf board from my husband's childhood. It was a gift to him, and its a white/cream color base with orange stripes and Cocoa Beach across the board. We are going to hang it all the wall like this image below:


Wow, that's a lot of ideas. I have 7 weeks to get as many diy projects done as possible. Between both boys rooms I am going to be crazy busy. Plus, just having a fun summer! I will post and update ideas as I complete them. If you have any fun ideas I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment