Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Living Room: Progress

There has been a lot going on in the last 3 weeks! So far we have made only cosmetic changes but they have made a big impact! I have painted a ton! Kitchen, living room, game room, hallway and half bath have all seen an update with paint. 

When we had the home inspection, I took the following photos:


The dark brown walls with dark accessories wasn't our style at all. It felt heavy and outdated.  With a change in paint and eliminating dark furniture I feel like the living room looks and feels lighter and brighter.  



We kept the same basic layout with our furniture as they had due to the location of a TV wall mount bracket and special chute that will hide all the wire once we update our TV. And now for the reveal of our current living room. 

The wall color is Summit Gray by Sherwin Williams. I am leaning towards yellows, aquas and navy as accent colors to bring some pop to the room. I am currently shopping for the perfect rug to break-up the gray couch and grayish tan carpet. Picture overload below!

 Looking into the living room from the hallway


 Curtains are actually a queen duvet cover from Target. I cut it in half and hemmed taped the raw edges. I like have the gray backing to provided some thickness to the curtain which helps it hang better. 

 Looking into the living room from the kitchen back door.

 Looking at the living room straight-on from the kitchen.

 The empty wall space next to the sofa will hopefully get a low dresser or fun sideboard soon. I have been shopping online some but nothing is really striking me yet. I picture an antique style dresser that bows out slightly across the front. 

We also need to start thinking about hanging some art work up on the walls, but I am waiting for all major furniture pieces to fall into place first. The art work over the fire place is a favorite of mine, but it isn't making a big statement, so eventually that piece will find a home somewhere else in the living and something with a larger size will take its place. 

I am also shopping for a great rug too. Below are some options that I am considering.


I want something that can withstand our family and let us really live on the rug. It needs to balance the room as well. Additional color will be add through art work and pillows.  Eventually I would like to also add an ottoman or padded bench in front of the couch. It would add an additional comfort level to the room. 

For now, I am very happy with how the room is turning out. It feels modern and fresh. I need to continue to add some layers, such as rug, pillows, and throws that will increase the cozy feel that I hope to achieve.  The TV stand will be changed out and the empty wall space beside the couch needs something. I am hoping to find something rustic and worn, that will give the collected over time look!


1 comment: