Friday, July 27, 2012

Laid-Back Boys Room: Adding Some Beachy Details

I have had these old boat oars sitting in our garage FOREVER. They are actually from our old boat. I knew I would eventually use them for something, I just didn't know when/what. And when our youngest picked out this picture for his new bedroom, I knew I would add them to his room.


We found this painting at Garden Ridge and it became the entire inspiration for his Boys Surfer Room.  Its HUGE. I can't wait to get it put up in his room. Though he has also started asking for some rock-n-roll stuff to be added as well. Not sure how that is all going to tie in together.

In the mean time, I have been working on some beach related details for his room, including the oars!




Here they are in their natural state...not much to look at!

I used some Kilz Primer, and it actually seemed to work against me in the end. It made the distressing part very difficult. After the primer, I used just a base white flat paint I had in the garage. 


Then, I picked thru various colors and settled on an aqua/green combo and aqua/yellow combo. I used a little red to add some fun personalized details for my son.

I just randomly started painting stripes, sporadically down the oar. I free handed the lines and didn't worry about getting anything perfect because I knew I would be distressing them. I started with my green and then added the aqua color.



From this point on I quit taking progress shots. I was working on these outside in between various storms that we had throughout the weekend. The second oar was finished along the same plan. Random stripes painted on the oar. 

And now its time for some finished shots;

  

They are just sitting in my son's now packed up room. They do not exactly match the pinky beige walls, but its the best at this moment. 




He choose the number 5, because that is how old he is right now. I also add his initials, RP.





They are so awesome! I love how they turned out. I think they will add fun details to his room along with some pops of color on his walls. I have not decided how I will use them just yet, but I thought maybe using them as curtain rods. Though, a good portion of them would be covered up, so I may mount them in the space above the curtain rod instead. 

The move is only days away. We are so excited to get in, do some painting then start moving our stuff in! The boys are very excited about their rooms. 

So, what do you think of the oars? 

Linking Up to the Following Parties:

No comments:

Post a Comment